Citizen is one of the most underrated watch brands in the world. That’s sadly the case, even if it has made lots of significant contributions to the watch industry.
Some of them are the world’s most water-resistant timepiece (1300m), the world’s most accurate quartz watch (the Citizen Mega Quartz), and, of course, the groundbreaking Eco-Drive technology back in 1995.
Formerly known as Shokosha Watch Research Institute, Citizen is a Japanese watch brand founded by Tokyo jeweler Kamekichi Yamazaki in 1918. Its offerings for men and women have clean dials, eye-catching designs and are super accurate.
In this Citizen watch review, we shall focus on some of the best timepieces for men the brand offers. Let’s dive right in.
1. Citizen Promaster Diver – Stainless Steel, Blue Dial Ref. BN0191-55L
The Citizen Promaster Diver BN0191-55L is a men’s dive watch that adds fun to diving- not just because of its design but because of its remarkable features too. It has a two-tone 45mm stainless steel case, a unidirectional blue bezel, and a solid well-polished steel bracelet.
A scratch-resistant mineral crystal protects its eye-catching blue dial. And, its state-of-the-art Citizen Caliber Eco-Drive E168 movement is powered by any light and doesn’t need a battery. Strap it on with your diving suit, and you’re all set for an underwater adventure!
Some of the main ones are a Citizen Caliber Eco-Drive movement, a mineral crystal that offers scratch resistance, a date display at 3 o’clock, water resistance to 200m, a unidirectional bezel, an orange second hand, illuminated hands and index hour markers, and minute markers around the rim.
- Production Year: 2022
- Case Size: 45mm
- Dial – Azure blue, with silver-tone luminous hands and index hour markers
- Bracelet – Stainless steel, with a safety fold-over clasp with push buttons
- Bezel – Unidirectional, azure blue aluminum with 60-minute graduations
- Function: Date, Hours, Minutes, Seconds, Solar-Powered
- Mechanism: Citizen Caliber Eco-Drive E168 movement
Why You Should Invest?
Its average market value increased from S$201 on July 22, 2022, to S$230 on January 17, 2023.
2. Citizen Eco-Drive Chandler – Stainless Steel, Black Dial Ref. BM8180-03E
This is a military-inspired casual men’s watch that’s a perfect fit for adventure. It enjoys a perfect balance of masculine hues: A sturdy 37mm stainless steel case, a black dial shielded by a tough marine crystal, and white Arabic numeral hour markers that contrast the black background nicely.
This Eco-Drive watch also has a green woven strap with a tang clasp for the ultimate commando feel and a reliable Citizen Caliber E100 that powers it.
They include Arabic numeral hour markers, Arabic numerals at every 5-minute mark, a day and date window at 3 o’clock, water resistance to 100m, a Citizen Caliber E100 movement, luminous hands and hour markers, a pull/push crown and a solid case back.
- Production Year: 2019
- Case Size: 37mm
- Dial – Black, with white Arabic numeral hour markers, illuminated silverware, and a red seconds hand
- Bracelet – Woven green strap with patterned stitching and a tang clasp
- Bezel – Fixed, stainless steel
- Function: Day, Date, Hours, Minutes, Seconds, Solar-Powered
- Mechanism: Citizen Caliber E100 movement
Why You Should Invest?
Its average market price rose from S$103 on July 22, 2022, to S$115 on January 17, 2023.
3. Citizen Promaster Eco -Drive Nighthawk- Stainless Steel, Black Dial Ref. CA0295-58E
The Citizen Promaster Nighthawk CA0295-58E is a handsome sports watch for men. It has a delicious monochromatic black design for that nighttime feel.
It also boasts a chiseled and well-polished 42mm steel case and body with a black dial and Eco-Drive Caliber B612 movement. Its clean dial offers a mellow contrast in the dark thanks to its luminescent hour markers and hands.
Its best ones are subdials at 12 (60 seconds),6 (60 minutes), and 9 (24 hours) o’clock, a tachymeter scale around the outer rim, water resistance to 200m, Arabic numeral hour markers at 3,6,9 and 12 o’clock, a screw-down case back, an Eco-Drive Caliber B612 movement, and a bracelet with a safety fold over clasp with a push button release.
- Production Year: 2022
- Case Size: 42mm
- Dial – Black, with Arabic and index hour markers and luminescent black hands and hour markers
- Bracelet – Stainless steel, with a safety fold-over clasp with a push button release
- Bezel – Fixed, black ion-plated
- Function: Chronograph, Tachymeter, GMT, Date, Hours, Minutes, Seconds
- Mechanism: Eco-Drive Caliber B612 movement
Why You Should Invest?
It’s among the more expensive watches in the Citizen line. Plus, it’s a nice watch whose price increased by 2% between 2022 and January 17, 2023.
4. Citizen Automatic Super Titanium – Titanium, Black Dial Ref. NH9120-11E
The Citizen Automatic Super Titanium NH9120-11E is a men’s watch that leans more to the dress watch side due to its elegant design. Its steel and black overall look enables it to be more at home on a gentleman with a full suit’s wrist. The black strap may give it a more casual vibe, but it complements the black dial.
Its 41mm case is crafted from Super Titanium, which is stronger than ordinary Titanium and more polishable. Its matte black dial is another noteworthy marvel thanks to the anti-reflective sapphire crystal over it and the open heart feature between 7 and 8 o’clock that gives a glimpse of the automatic movement in action. Its open case back gives the more curious wearer a more detailed view.
They include an open heart section with straight and curved lines between 7 and 8 o’clock, a tough Titanium case, an automatic Miyota Caliber 8229 movement, water resistance to 100m, a transparent case back, and an anti-reflective sapphire crystal.
- Production Year: 2021
- Case Size: 41mm
- Dial – Black, with index hour markers and skeletonized hour and minute hands
- Bracelet – Black calfskin leather strap with a buckle clasp
- Bezel – Fixed, titanium
- Function: Hours, Minutes, Seconds
- Mechanism: Self-winding Miyota Caliber 8229 movement with 21 jewels and a 40-hour power reserve
Why You Should Invest?
It’s among the dress watches that are growing in popularity. Its price increased by at least 3% between 2021 and December 2022.
The table below summarizes the major points of the Citizen watches for men we’ve picked in the Citizen watch review above.
|Citizen Promaster Diver||• Citizen Caliber Eco-Drive E168 movement|
• Water resistance to 200m
• Unidirectional bezel
|Citizen Eco-Drive Chandler||• Arabic numeral hour markers|
• Day and date display at 3 o’clock
• Citizen Caliber E100 movement
|Citizen Promaster Eco-Drive Nighthawk||• Subdials at 12 (60 seconds),6 (60 minutes), and 9 (24 hours) o’clock|
• Tachymeter scale around the outer rim
• Eco-Drive Caliber B612 movement
|Citizen Automatic Super Titanium||• Open heart section with straight and curved lines between 7 and 8 o’clock|
• Automatic Miyota Caliber 8229 movement
• Water resistance to 100m
The most expensive timepiece on the list is the Citizen Promaster Eco-Drive Nighthawk CA0295-58E (S$6-700 plus). Meanwhile, the Citizen Eco-Drive Chandler BM8180-03E (Less than S$300) is the most affordable.
The Citizen Automatic Super Titanium NH9120-11E’s open heart is impressive, but our favorite features are the Citizen Promaster Eco-Drive Nighthawk CA0295-58E’s chronograph and tachymeter. They’re easy to use and functional, enabling users to measure speed according to the time traveled over a set distance.
1. Is Citizen a good watch brand?
Citizen is a good watch brand. It makes affordable yet quality, sturdy and accurate watches. It uses premium materials on its watches, including Titanium, steel, mineral crystals, and leather, increasing their appeal, comfort, and durability.
2. Is Citizen considered a luxury watch?
Citizen isn’t a luxury watch. It might look luxurious, but several factors take it off that list. For starters, it’s too cost-friendly, with the most expensive going for between S$900 and S$1,000+.
Second, Citizen doesn’t use luxury materials like platinum or gold on its timepieces. Titanium is a good try, but it’s still not enough to make it a high-end watch.
Lastly, they’re more readily available hence costing less money. Luxury watches are rare since even one can take a while to be produced. Most of their parts are assembled by hand, and they’re made from precious metals and stones.
3. Is Citizen better than Seiko?
Citizen isn’t better than Seiko. Some watch collectors think they’re on the same level, but that’s not the case. Seiko came into the horological world earlier, allowing it to have made some commendable strides before Citizen showed up.
Seiko also produces more watches with mechanical movements than Citizen, which specializes mainly in quartz movements. Most people prefer mechanical watches, so Seiko has the upper hand.
Seiko focuses more on contemporary designs for its watches. Meanwhile, Citizen offers a mostly traditional, simple, and classic look for its timepieces.
4. What is special about Citizen watches?
Two main points make them special: They provide unmatched timekeeping since Citizen brand uses atomic timekeeping on most of them. The watches using this complex technology receive a signal of the exact day, date, and time from an atomic clock via radio waves.
Next, most of the watches use Eco-Drive, which is an unmatched technology that nullifies the need for battery change. The unique battery receives its charge from any light source. The cool technology offers a power reserve of up to half a year!
Citizen watches are some of the best watches that deserve more recognition. They’re affordable, use innovative technology, and don’t need much maintenance since they have a nice build quality.
- Citizen watches boast clean dials and eye-catching designs.
- Citizen timepieces are a worthy investment since they’re robust.
- The most admirable features of Citizen timers that set them apart from the rest are the Eco-Drive technology and atomic timekeeping.
Looking to buy or sell your luxury watches? Watch Exchange is your one-stop destination for trading Rolex, Patek Philippe, Tissot, Sinn, Zenith, and other luxury timepieces. Find your next watch today or list your item for free!