In the world of luxury timepieces, Rolex stands as a symbol of prestige and sophistication. Among their iconic collections, the GMT-Master II series has gained a significant following due to its combination of functionality and elegance. Out of this series emerged two black and blue GMT models, which have since become known by collectors as the “Batman” (ref. 116710BLNR) and the “Batgirl” (ref. 126710BLNR).
The Rolex Batman, officially known as the GMT-Master II with an Oyster bracelet, has captivated the attention of watch enthusiasts due to its striking black and blue bezel design. In contrast, the Rolex Batgirl features a more delicate appearance with a sleek Jubilee bracelet while maintaining the same appealing black and blue bezel. Both models continue to spark debate among collectors as to which timepiece is the superior choice.
The Rolex Batman vs Batgirl review below aims to delve into the key differences and similarities between the Rolex Batman and Batgirl models, providing insights into each watch’s design, features, and value.
Batman Vs Batgirl: Specs Comparison
Here’s a comparison table outlining the key features of both luxury watches:
|Aspect||Rolex Batman||Rolex Batgirl|
|Design and Aesthetics||Slightly thicker, with boxy lugs, a black and blue (Bleu Noir) Cerachrom insert, and a sporty Oyster bracelet.||Slimmer, with thinner lugs to accommodate the classier Jubilee bracelet|
|Movement and Precision||COSC-Certified Caliber 3186 movement||COSC-Certified Caliber 3285 movement|
|Materials||904L stainless steel (Oystersteel), Cerachrom, Sapphire Crystal||904L stainless steel (Oystersteel), Cerachrom, Sapphire Crystal|
|Price Range||Less expensive, costing S$12,650 at retail.||Costlier due to the Jubilee bracelet, retailing at S$14,554.|
The Rolex Batman ref. 116710BLNR has been around longer than its feminine counterpart. It’s more muscular, boasting a thick, elegant, and robust 40mm Oystersteel body. It also has a capable movement, a sporty bracelet, an excellent wrist presence, and a matching price tag.
On the other hand, the Queen of the Cave ref. 126710BLNR may be (relatively) a newcomer, but it’s winning some hearts over with its slimmer, equally robust 40mm Oystersteel case, more accurate movement, and the highlight- its well-polished Jubilee bracelet that gives it an edge in terms of charm and cost.
Rolex Batman Vs Batgirl: Detailed Review
Here’s a more comprehensive look at the above features in both luxury GMT II timepieces:
Batman ref. 116710BLNR
Introduced to the watch world at Baselworld 2013, the Rolex GMT-Master II Batman is the first stainless steel GMT II watch to have a two-tone Cerachrom bezel. Previous models had a black Cerachrom bezel.
This color combination quickly earned it the nickname “Batman” due to its resemblance to the colors associated with the superhero. Its official reference is the Rolex GMT-Master II ref. 116710BLNR.
It’s housed in Rolex’s Oyster case, known for its robust construction and water resistance. It typically comes with a stainless steel Oyster bracelet with the Oysterlock clasp. Also, it features a Maxi dial with larger hour markers and broader hands for improved legibility. Chromalight luminous material is applied to the markers and hands to enhance readability in low-light conditions.
This GMT Master II watch has remained highly sought after by watch enthusiasts and collectors due to its striking design and Rolex’s reputation for quality. Its unique bezel color combination and robust GMT function make it a versatile and iconic timepiece.
It has become a symbol of luxury, precision, and style, and it continues to be a highly coveted timepiece in the world of horology.
Batgirl ref. 126710BLNR
The Rolex GMT Master II Batgirl ref. 126710BLNR was released in 2019. It’s a replacement for the Rolex Batman, and although the two look similar, it has made a name for itself with its dressier Jubilee bracelet.
Most watch fans believe it’s a women’s watch because of its moniker. It’s a primarily men’s sports watch. However, ladies with bigger wrists and a thirst for quality luxury timepieces can wear it as well.
It’s still in production (as of 2023) and primarily comes in a Jubilee bracelet. Rolex changed that in 2021 when they introduced a Rolex Batgirl with an Oyster or Jubilee bracelet. How to tell the difference? Keep reading to find out!
Design and Aesthetics
Both the Rolex Batman and Batgirl share similarities in their design, sporting a bidirectional black-and-blue ceramic bezel with a 24-hour scale, a 40mm stainless steel case, and a black dial.
The most significant difference is the type of bracelet used. The Batman features an Oyster bracelet, which gives a sporty and rugged appearance, emphasizing its masculine essence.
On the other hand, the Batgirl is adorned with a Jubilee bracelet that showcases a softer and more refined aesthetic than Batman’s Oyster bracelet. This difference in bracelet style contributes to the aesthetics and comfort of each watch.
Also, the Batman is generally chunkier, with thicker lugs and a more noticeable wrist presence. Meanwhile, the Batgirl has a slimmer case with thinner, more refined, curvier lugs- hence its nickname.
Finally, the Batgirl has a coronet between the words ‘SWISS’ and ‘MADE’ below 6 o’clock on the dial. This clever yet subtle addition indicates the presence of a new movement and helps differentiate between a Batgirl with an Oyster bracelet and a Batman timepiece.
Movement and Precision
The Rolex Batman ref. 116710BLNR is powered by the Rolex Caliber 3186 movement. It’s a movement produced by Rolex. This movement is known for its reliability, precision, and robust construction. Here are some key details about it:
- Movement Type: The Rolex Caliber 3186 is an automatic movement, which means it is powered by the motion of the wearer’s wrist rather than a manual winding mechanhttps://watchexchange.sg/blog/guide/quartz-vs-automatic-watch/ism. As long as the timepiece is worn regularly, it will continue operating without manual winding.
- Functions: It provides several functions, depending on the Rolex watch in which it is used. One of its notable features is its ability to display two time zones simultaneously. This is achieved through the GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) function, which enables the wearer to track a second time zone using the additional GMT hand. The GMT hand rotates once every 24 hours and points to the 24-hour scale on the watch’s bezel or dial.
- Precision: The Caliber 3186 movement undergoes rigorous examination and quality control processes to make sure that it meets Rolex’s stringent standards for accuracy and reliability. It beats at a 28,800vph frequency and has an accuracy of -2/+2 seconds each day.
- Power Reserve: It typically has a power reserve of approximately 48 hours. This means that if the watch is fully wound and left unworn, it will continue running for about two days before stopping. However, wearing the watch regularly will keep it powered.
- Parachrom Hairspring: Rolex equips the Caliber 3186 with a Parachrom hairspring, which is a proprietary alloy known for its resistance to magnetic fields and temperature variations. This contributes to the movement’s stability and precision.
- Shock Resistance: Rolex movements, including the Caliber 3186, are designed to withstand shocks and vibrations encountered in daily wear. They are equipped with shock absorbers to protect the delicate components.
- Date Function: Depending on the Rolex model, the Caliber 3186 may also include a date function with a magnifying Cyclops lens atop the date window.
The Batgirl ref. 126710BLNR is brought to life by the Rolex Caliber 3285 movement developed and manufactured by Rolex. It’s one of the newer movements known for its advanced technology and enhanced performance. Here are some key details about it:
- Movement Type: The Caliber 3285 is an automatic movement, which means it is self-winding and powered by the motion of the wearer’s wrist. This eliminates the need for manual winding as long as the watch is worn regularly.
- Functions: The Caliber 3285 movement offers several functions, depending on the Rolex watch model in which it is used. Some of its notable features include:
- Date Function: Many Rolex models equipped with the Caliber 3285 feature a date display with a magnifying Cyclops lens for improved readability.
- Dual Time Zone (GMT) Function: Like other Rolex GMT-Master II models, watches with the Caliber 3285 can display two time zones simultaneously using the GMT hand. This feature is particularly useful for travelers.
- Chronergy Escapement: The Caliber 3285 features a Chronergy escapement, which enhances the efficiency of the movement and contributes to its precision. It also reduces energy consumption, increasing the power reserve.
- 70-Hour Power Reserve: The Caliber 3285 boasts an extended power reserve of approximately 70 hours. This means the watch can run for up to 70 hours after being fully wound, even if it’s not worn.
- Superlative Chronometer Certification: Rolex movements, including the Caliber 3285, undergo stringent testing and meet Rolex’s criteria for precision, reliability, and performance. They are certified as Superlative Chronometers, exceeding the standard certification for Swiss Chronometers. It has a -2/+2 per day accuracy.
- Parachrom Hairspring: The Caliber 3285, like many modern Rolex movements, is equipped with a Parachrom hairspring. This hairspring is made from a proprietary alloy and is known for its resistance to magnetic fields and temperature variations, contributing to the movement’s stability and accuracy.
- Shock Resistance: Rolex movements, including the Caliber 3285, are designed to withstand shocks and vibrations encountered in daily wear. They are equipped with shock absorbers to protect sensitive components.
Rolex uses high-quality materials in the production of these watches. The case and bracelet are crafted from 904L stainless steel – a highly corrosion-resistant and durable alloy unique to Rolex watches.
The black-and-blue ceramic bezel, made from Rolex’s patented Cerachrom, is known for its resistance to fading, scratches, and corrosion. The two-tone appearance was created by adding black color to an entirely blue ceramic bezel using Rolex’s patented technology.
Additionally, above the dials are sapphire crystals- that are scratch-resistant and have an anti-reflective coating.
According to WatchCharts, the Rolex Batman has a retail price of S$12,650 and a private market price of S$20,378. The site also reveals that Batgirl retails for S$14,554 and has a private market cost of S$22,285.
However, since the Batman model has been discontinued, prices for this timepiece have increased in the pre-owned market due to demand. Batgirl, being the current production model, is also subject to long waiting lists at authorized dealers. Consequently, the price range for both models may vary, with Batman typically commanding a higher premium due to its scarcity.
1. What’s the difference between a Rolex Batgirl and Batman?
The main difference between the Rolex Batgirl and Batman is the type of bracelet they come with. The Batman features an Oyster bracelet, while the Batgirl is equipped with a Jubilee bracelet. Both models have a similar case size, material, and black and blue bezel, but the bracelet design sets them apart.
2. Will Rolex Batman go up in value?
As a luxury watch brand, Rolex is known for retaining or even increasing its value over time. However, predicting the exact appreciation of a specific model like the Rolex Batman is not guaranteed. Various factors, like demand, rarity, and market conditions can influence the watch’s value.
3. Why is Rolex Batman so popular?
The Rolex Batman gained popularity due to its distinct black and blue bezel design, which is visually striking and practical. The combination of elegance, durability, and GMT functionality makes it an attractive choice for collectors and watch enthusiasts.
4. Is Rolex Batman being discontinued?
In 2019, Rolex replaced the original Batman (ref. 116710BLNR) with an updated version (ref. 126710BLNR), which includes the Caliber 3285 movement and comes with a Jubilee bracelet. Though the original Batman model is discontinued, the new version maintains the same essence of the design and offers improved features.
The decision to choose between the Rolex Batman and Batgirl comes down to personal preference. Both Rolex GMT watches brings its unique touch to the iconic Rolex GMT-Master II family, and a confident, knowledgeable buyer will appreciate the intricacies and features that set each model apart from the other.
- The Rolex Batman’s most distinguishing features are the two-tone black and blue ceramic bezel and a classic Oyster bracelet which contributes to its robust and versatile appearance.
- While the Rolex Batgirl shares the same black and blue ceramic bezel as the Batman, it differentiates itself with the elegant Jubilee bracelet. The five-link construction of the Jubilee bracelet lends a more refined and sophisticated look to the watch.
- These two models are not only sought after for their stylish looks but also for their iconic status in the luxury watch market. The Batman, as an older model, sometimes fetches a higher price than its original retail value on the secondhand market. Similarly, the Batgirl maintains its prominence as a desirable, modern option for watch enthusiasts.
Looking to buy or sell your luxury watches? Watch Exchange is your one-stop destination for trading Rolex, Patek Philippe, Tissot, Sinn, Zenith, and other luxury timepieces. Find your next watch today or list your item for free!